Lighting - the whys, whats & wherefores
Nothing makes or breaks a scheme the way lighting can. It is absolutely vital for creating the right mood of course, for offering practical solutions so you can get on with your day-to-day life.
The most important rule of lighting?
Use different types of lighting to create your overall look
It’s all about using a combination of different lighting that vary in intensity to accommodate all the activities that occur day & night
The big mistake?
Expecting one type of lighting to do it all
Each lighting type meets a particular need. By layering these you can create atmosphere & mood in your space and highlight key aspects of your room’s design
|Chandelier Murano, Eicholtz - why have just 1 when you could have 5!|
There are three main layers of lighting to think about:
1. AMBIENT (mood)the base layer of lighting that provides the overall illumination to your space
it should add a comfortable level of brightness without creating glare
2. ACCENT (directional)highlights key features in your room design, such as artwork or architectural elements
acts like a spotlight to help bring forward key features in your space
shouldn’t cast a harsh light, instead works without drawing too much attention
3. TASKadds brightness to areas of a room where daily activities are performed
should be bright enough to prevent eye strain but not so powerful that it creates shadows or glare
What to consider when choosing lighting
- What do I use this space for? i.e. cooking, reading, sleeping or socialising
- What is on display in each room? Are there any features i.e. a painting or fireplace?
- How much natural light does this room get & where is it coming from? South-facing room - sunlight comes in directly through the windows North-facing - tends to only receive indirect light
- What time of day do you use this space most? Morning, all day etc?
- Kitchens & workspaces tend to need more task lighting
- A combination of ambient & accent lighting in a living room will help make your space feel cosy & relaxed
Before I go, let me tell you about Pooky.
Pooky is all about beautiful, decorative lighting. Lights that look thought they cost a fortune but don't (yay!). They have a lovely range of lights and if you sign up to their newsletter you'll get 20% of your first order, woohoo!
Happy light filled dark cosy evenings at home this weekend to you all. Did someone say weekend?! Yippee :) x